I’m usually not much of a salad person, or even a fruit person. But on hot summer days, sometimes I just can’t stand to eat a heavy meal, and a refreshing fruit salad is just the kind of thing I want to eat. This peach and berry salad is lightly dressed in lime juice and honey and can be refrigerated until needed. When you’re ready to serve, simply toss with fresh basil.
How to Serve Peach and Berry Salad
I think this makes a nice light dessert, but you could also eat it for breakfast with Greek yoghurt, or have a smaller portion as a healthy snack.
Substitutions and Additions
You can use lemon juice instead of lime, and substitute or add in your favorite berries. You could also try using fresh mint instead of basil if you prefer. Adjust the lime juice and honey amounts to your preference or use nectarines instead of peaches. This is easy to customize and it would be hard to go wrong.
How to Make Peach and Berry Salad
If your strawberries are large, quarter them; if they’re on the smaller side then cut them in half. Cut the peaches into bite-sized pieces. To do this, I first halved them, then cut into wedges, and then cut those wedges into 3-4 pieces. But if you have a better method, please feel free to go ahead!
Put the blueberries, strawberries and peaches in a large bowl and toss gently. Drizzle with lime juice and honey and toss to combine. I used one teaspoon of honey, but if you like things sweet or you know your fruit isn’t as sweet as you would like, use two.
This step is optional, but I do think this salad tastes best cold, especially when it’s hot outside. Either put it in the fridge for half an hour to chill a little or you can leave it for a few hours until you are ready to serve. This can be kept in the fridge for a couple of days, but it’s really best the day it’s made.
Add Basil and Serve
Right before serving, add the basil and toss gently. The basil needs to be added at the end, because otherwise it wilts and loses its color rather quickly. I feel like it still tastes fine, it just doesn’t look quite as nice!
Peach and Berry Salad with Basil and Honey Lime Dressing
- 3 large yellow peaches cut into bite-sized pieces
- 6 oz blueberries
- 1 lb strawberries halved or quartered, depending on size
- 1 tablespoon lime juice from about 1/2 a lime
- 1-2 teaspoons honey to taste
- 3 medium basil leaves cut into ribbons
- In a large bowl, combine the blueberries, strawberries, and peaches. Drizzle with lime juice and honey and toss to combine.
- If making ahead, refrigerate at this point.
- Just before serving, top with basil and toss gently to combine.
- This fruit salad can be made ahead. Ideally it should be eaten the day it’s made, but it will still taste good if refrigerated for a couple of days. Just don’t add the basil until ready to serve as it wilts and loses its color.
Did you make this recipe? If so, follow @theflavorvortex on Instagram and post a picture using #theflavorvortex as I would love to see it!