I’m not really a salad person, but since they’re a great way to eat a lot of vegetables, I try to eat them anyway. For me, a good salad has to have some form of protein and a delicious dressing. I love discovering interesting flavor combinations, and I really like a salad with a touch of sweetness.
This peach and spinach salad is made more interesting with the addition of bacon and feta, and the maple syrup dressing can be adjusted to your sweetness preference. It’s the kind of salad that could easily serve as a complete light meal, but it would also make a delicious side dish for your next barbecue.
Additions and Substitutions
You can adjust the amount of maple syrup in the dressing, depending on how sweet you want it. If your peaches aren’t that sweet, you may want to add more. Make sure you use real maple syrup!
You can replace the spinach with any kind of leafy green. I tried arugula once, but I prefer the spinach.
If you’re not a meat eater, feel free to omit the bacon. You could try replacing it with nuts, or some kind of fake bacon if you like that kind of thing.
I know a lot of people like pairing goat cheese with peaches, so you could use that instead of feta. I personally find goat cheese a little too strong.
How to Make Peach and Spinach Salad
Set a skillet over medium heat. Add bacon and cook until crispy, which will take around 5-6 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to cool a bit while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
In a small container, add the shallot, oil, maple syrup, and vinegar. Season to taste with salt and pepper. You should season so it’s a little too strong when you try it since the flavor will be muted once it’s on the salad. Shake to combine and set aside.
Alternatively, you can whisk the ingredients in a bowl.
In a large bowl, combine the spinach and half the dressing. Toss until the spinach is coated to your liking. If needed, you can add a little more dressing. Just make sure you save some for the next step.
Place the spinach on a serving platter or on individual plates. Arrange peach, bacon, and feta on top, and drizzle with more dressing. Serve immediately! This doesn’t keep too well.
Peach and Spinach Salad with Maple Dressing
- 4 strips bacon chopped
- 1 small shallot finely diced
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1-2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 5-6 ounces baby spinach
- 2 peaches sliced
- 4 ounces feta cheese crumbled
- Set a skillet over medium heat. Add the bacon and cook until crispy, about 5-6 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to cool a little while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- In a small container, add the shallot, oil, maple syrup and vinegar and season with salt and pepper. Seal well and shake vigorously until combined.
- In a large bowl, combine the spinach and half the dressing. Toss until the spinach is coated to your liking (you can add more dressing if you want).
- On a serving platter or individual plates, place the spinach. Arrange peach, bacon, and feta on top, and drizzle with more dressing. Serve immediately.
Did you make this recipe? If so, follow @theflavorvortex on Instagram and post a picture using #theflavorvortex as I would love to see it!